If you’re new here, WELCOME! And if you’ve been here before, WELCOME BACK!
A little introduction for the newbies…
I’m Erin, wife of a first-year internal medicine resident and mom to three boys, 7, 4.5, and 1! I’m a lover of Jesus, reading, writing, running, and teaching our kiddos! In addition to writing here, I am also the co-founder and creator of Raising Boys Media, featuring three sites for parents of boys – The MOB Society, Boy Dads, and Raising Hearty Boys!
I am so thrilled to to be co-hosting Medical Monday this month! I love that there is a way for those connected to the medical field to meet and support one another through blogging!
Any profession has its unique perks and challenges, but community with others in that same field can make it all seem a little more “normal.” One of the biggest blessings on our medical journey so far has been the friends we’ve ade who are in the same boat. The Hubby found some of these friends in his study group during medical school, and I’ve been blessed with that community in my Bible study of residents’ wives!
As we’ve gotten farther down our medical path, the healthcare situation in impoverished countries has come more into field of interest. I have no expertise in the healthcare or medical fields, but I do know that it saddens me to know this simple fact:
NEARLY A THIRD OF THE WORLD’S POPULATION LACKS REGULAR ACCESS TO ESSENTIAL MEDICATIONS.
And that’s not the only medical crisis facing our world. All the needs can be overwhelming when we try to figure out a way to help, but I have a simple way for us as a medical community to make a difference with the shopping we already do on a regular basis.
It’s called Pure Charity, and with them, we’re going On a Medical Mission.
Pure Charity is like you telling your favorite stores where you want your portion their charitable giving funds to go! You are already shopping Target online or booking a trip online, but when you do it through Pure Charity, a portion of your money spent is directed back into a giving fund in which you are in charge!
And to rally this community around the cause of better healthcare around the world, we’ve put together a Pure Charity group, called On a Medical Mission, to make a difference together!
Before we get to the group, here’s the nitty gritty of how to get set up with Pure Charity:
1. Sign up for a FREE Pure Charity account. If you’re on Facebook, you can sign in through that (which is great for sharing in the future), or you can sign up the old-fashioned way.
2. Install the browser plugin. This will make a little icon pop up when you’re shopping online at participating vendors, and with a simple *click*, a percentage of your purchase will be sent into your personal giving account with Pure Charity. Make sure you click the icon and the reward to get credit to your giving fund. Need a little guidance about how the Rewards works? Check out this video:
3. Now, browse the projects. Every project on Pure Charity falls into one of six categories: food, freedom, health, opportunity, water, or relief. You can sort through them by category, region, or just search for a non-profit to support.
4. Support your favorite project. You choose how much you donate. It starts with $5 increment awhich you can change by clicking the dollar amount. Projects are time-sensitive with a set amount of money. If that project doesn’t fully fund by the finish date, Pure Charity refunds the money back into your giving account.
5. Share it with friends! This is way more fun and powerful when done with others! You can share buttons and widgets with your friends and followers to generate interest in a cause about which you are passionate.
Once you’re all signed up, you can join our On a Medical Mission group where we will post healthcare-related projects that need backing and, hopefully, get them fully funded!
We’re starting with a project from e3 Partners Medical, working to supply medical bags to communities in the Sudan. You can read more about the project and start backing it here.
Ok, everybody got that?! If this seems a little confusing, it’s really not once you get going, but please ask any questions you may have and I will find out the answers for you!
Whether you are a doctor, nurse, dentist, physical therapist, pharmacist, hospital or clinic worker, any profession in the health field or the spouse or significant other of someone who is, let’s take our place in this medical community and make a difference in the health of the world!
As part of Medical Monday this month, we have a special surprise for you! Kristen Math has just published the second edition of her book, “Surviving Residency” and she’s offered to give one away to one of our lucky readers! You can read the introduction here and check out what others are saying about it here!
This giveaway is open to anyone in the USA or Canada. You do not have to participate in Medical Monday to participate in the giveaway, however, we hope you will… the more the merrier!
The winner will be announced Monday, May 13th, so be sure to check back on the “Surviving Residency” Facebook page, YDW or FDW blogs to see if you have won! Winner will have 48 hours to claim prize. After 48 hours, another winner will be drawn.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Now, are you ready for a week’s worth of great reads? If you’re new to our monthly link up, WELCOME and continue reading for the deets. If you are one of our regulars, HAPPY MAY and feel free to scroll down to the little blue link up button. New or a regular, we are thrilled to have you with us! Medical Monday is a once a month opportunity for any and all medical/med life blogs to link up and meet others. So join us!
- Doctor? Nurse? EMT? Chiropractor? Vet? Dentist? Therapist?
- MA? NA? PA? DA?
- Are you the spouse or SO of a healthcare worker/student?
- Are you a nursing student? Medical student?
- Intern? Resident? Fellow?
- Follow your co-hosts via Bloglovin (since GFC will soon be defunct), FB, email or Twitter.
- Link up you medical/med life blog. If your blog name does not clearly state how you fit in to the med/med life world, please write a little intro or link up a specific post which clearly demonstrates your connection.
- Visit at least 3 other link ups, comment, introduce yourself, and tell the your stopping by or following from MM!
- Help spread the word by using our button on your post or sidebar, tweet about Medical Monday, or spread the word on Facebook! The more the merrier for all of us.
Want to be awesome? Post our button on you post or sidebar and help spread the word: